"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

The Little Prince

Friday, September 17, 2010

One of those weeks...

It has been one of those weeks.  I know we've all had them.  Hard weeks, where everything that possibly could go wrong does...  And the 'bad things' only seem to be compounded by your lack of sleep.  Everything seems worse without sleep.

I've been having vein issues for the past few months.  I guess I've always had them since the boys, but the searing, not able to run without crying, throbbing, burning, where each vein feels like it has it's own heart beat kind of pain hasn't started until a few months ago.  The intensity is just ridiculous (and it doesn't look too pretty either, but I could care less about that aspect of it).  No running.  My only stress relief--gone.  Scheduled to see Dr. Fry, the 'best' I've been told, at the Iowa Vein Center on October 1st, and holding out till then.  My job has been grueling due to having to be on my feet all day.  It has worsened with our lack of preschoolers since kindergarten started and I'm being shipped out to the baby rooms frequently--all week this week.  Getting off the ground and lifting very heavy 'little' ones (four little tikes every two hours) for diaper changes and keeping up with the pace of baby land has just been ridiculous.  There's NO sitting down or available time to elevate my feet in any way.  I get in the car and just bawl on the way home.  Hydrocodone can only do so much in a ten hour day.  Thanks to a note from my doctor, I'm hoping my work environment gets better and someone else can share the responsibilities of baby land--it would be nice to rotate teachers every now and then.  I'm very thankful that I have a job.  However, my job is not worth putting my body through hell.  I have my own family to care for when I get home--I don't have the luxury of just passing out on the couch...

To top it off my toddler has not been sleeping all week.  No sleep for him equals no sleep for me.  My husband attempts to help, but G only wants his mommy when he's hurting.  I kept thinking it was his allergies and his molars coming in.  Then the high fever and puking hit.  Why does it always hit in the wee hours of the morning?  After four days of this, I got him into our pediatrician to find out he has a double ear infection and hand, foot, and mouth disease.  Poor little guy.  He won't eat or drink anything and has lost a few pounds in the process.  He is also so clingy.  I'm a mess of sweat and drool as his little body is always on mine.  Our pede also informed me that both of his tubes have fallen out.  I want a refund!  Those suckers were supposed to get us through the winter, at least!!!  I hate night time.  It feels like I have an infant all over again.  Hopefully the omnicef will kick in for the ears in a few days and the blisters in his mouth will be gone soon.  I can't even get him to eat ice cream or Popsicles!So much for my teeth theory...


(this is what a double ear infection and hand foot and mouth looks like~look at those red, fever induced cheeks and ears!)

My poor oldest has gotten NO attention this week.  I've rushed him to football practice, rushed through homework, rushed through our Bible and prayer time, then he's rushed off to school again.  His allergies have been miserable and his meds are upped to my dose and eye drops have been introduced.  He's miserable, but not getting the lovings his baby brother is.  My husband has practices and meets for cross country all week (on top of his rigorous teaching duties), so we don't see much of Daddy.  He gets home when we're all in bed, so the parenting all falls to me at night.  I know he'd much rather be home with us, but I'm afraid M gets the short end of the stick as he's been having to fend for himself.  His spelling test results today were a testimate to his mommy's negligence in practicing his spelling words with him this week.  There's just always so much to do.

My house is in utter chaos.  The hamper is completely overflowing with laundry, there are toys all over the floor, ibuprofen and tylenol bottles all over the counter tops, sippy cups everywhere, and mail strewn across half the house.  I know I'm overwhelmed because I simply do not care.  I feel utterly defeated and don't have an ounce of energy to start the clean up process--and where do I start?  It will be there tomorrow, and hopefully some renewed sense of motivation will greet me with the dawn as well.

One of those weeks that will lead into one of those weekends.  Feeling a bit "Eeyorish".  I know this too shall pass, and healthier and brighter days are ahead (and hopefully more rest filled).  Right now, I will finish my tea and check on my baby's temperature once again.  Maybe we can find a movie everyone likes and have some snuggle time on the couch.  Just maybe.  Till then, it's back in the trenches of mommyhood.  Take care, all!

1 comment:

  1. Angie, your kids are so blessed to have you as their mother. Poor little G...he just needs time to heal and absorb the medicine. He will be up and running before you know it!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your veins, and about not being able to run anymore. Hopefully the vein doctor will be helpful.

    Try and sneak a nap or two in this weekend. The laundry, dirty house, etc. will wait for you and G to get back to "normal"!!!

    Love and miss you!! Take care.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete