"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

The Little Prince

Friday, November 5, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

The boys are snuggled up on the couch with Daddy watching "Polar Express".  Griffyn is convinced the boy in the movie is Max.  We may be a little early, but the boys love trains and we all love Christmas.  Both of the boys have had their baths and are in clean jammies and will hopefully get sleepy on Daddy and be carried off to bed soon...

Griffyn and I spent the day doing the unpleasant task of cleaning the house (which warranted a much needed bubble bath and glass of wine tonight~thank you, Marty).  The dusting is done, the laundry complete, the dishes put away, the birthday gifts wrapped (still need to have the boys make a few cards) and all set for our parties this weekend, and I began looking at the renewal process for our family's insurance policy (it's that time of year).  Griffyn and I managed to have some fun time too.  We made pumpkin bars for G'ma and G'pa Mitchell's visit tomorrow and for Griffyn and Max's special time with aunt Jen while Mommy and Daddy go to an engagement party.  This got me to thinking of all of my 'favorite things'.  Life's special little moments that make it so savory.

(the beginnings of pumpkin bars)
Baking is definitely one of my favorite things (especially this time of year), and my boys have always loved to help.  I'm not necessarily very good at it, but there is something so immensely satisfying about adding a variety of ingredients together and creating a delicious outcome--the comforting smells and tastes that evolve.  The entire process is a nurturing and delicious one.  It makes me feel like I am taking care of my family and friends.  It does not, however, help my waste line as I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and tend to bake when I am stressed~which seems to be often ;). 


Then there are the previously mentioned bubble baths.  Although they may not be as long as I would like (or happen quite as often as I may want), I savor them all the same.  They most likely begin and end with my two year old banging on the door and wanting "Mommy", but I will take what ever I can get in the form of "me" time.  I love the relaxing scent of lavender--few things calm me like the smell of lavender.  My favorite product is Philosophy's "Silent Night" (which is only sold during the holidays).  It's like taking a nap in a lavender field with the warm sun shining on your face.  Pure bliss!

(heavenly lavender bubbles!)
Clean sheets and snuggling in with the boys on a chilly evening (even if it means having to sit through an episode of "Wonder Pets" or the "Backyardigans").  Sleep doesn't come often as there's much to do and I have a husband who aggressively snores and children who get up frequently (and I'm one of those people who once woken has a very hard time getting back to sleep) so it is treasured.  Comfy pj's and lots of cozy blankets with soft, fluffy pillows.  If I could take a day just to myself--to do absolutely nothing--I would stay in bed and rest all day.  What a lovely dream :).

(my cuddle bugs!)
Time to join my boys on the couch and get the box of tissue.  I never get tired of this movie.  It too is one of my favorite things!  Please tell me some of yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment