"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

The Little Prince

Friday, March 18, 2011

A little respect...

As I have no option for 'water cooler talk' at 'the office', I'm retaliating a little here on my blog.  Retaliating against disrespect in the work place.  Granted, with young kids it's going to happen.  They're always testing to see just how far they can go--it's like they're BEGGING for boundaries (smile).
 
It's been a very rough and long couple of months at work with the bigger 'kids'.  I guess I'm just really tired of being treated like a babysitter and an indentured servant some, by no means all, of the time by parents and even fellow coworkers of mine.  I have a brain.  I use it frequently (fueled by coffee these days~smile again).  I graduated magna cum laude in the top ten percent of my class at Simpson College (with top honors in English and the Humanities).  I took two years of early education classes and completed my practicum (in which God spoke to me, quite loudly, 'middle school and high school are NOT for you--change your major' =)).  I've been working with children for ten years.  I have my own two children, and I do know a few things (although my brain seems to function on fewer and fewer cells as the years go by!  I blame sleep deprivation--ugh!). 

I know juggling work and parenting is tough--I'm in the trenches right there with ya (smile).  It just seems that common courtesy and respect are lacking in our day to day exchanges with one another (and our culture in general) anymore.  I guess my wish is that teachers and TA's got just a little bit more respect.  It gets down right depressing at times!  Most of us have worked very hard and get paid pretty little, but we do it for all the 'benefits' money can not give--for no other reason than we see an immense value in what we do and we have seen/experienced the effects and differences we can make on a young child's life.  We love children and see our own children in their eyes, we want the best for their and our own children's future, we believe every child deserves a chance--we breathe it and live it everyday.  And yes, it's completely exhausting and involves every ounce of heart and physical strength you have.  Like my husband and I say, you have to be 'on' all the time--engaged and ready to go.   You're "up all night with the kids", "bad mood", "not feeling well" etc. etc. etc. has to be left at the door.  Kids won't put up with that (wink)...

I know every child's name in my classroom and the surrounding classrooms.  I know each child's parent's name as well.  I am NOT "hey you" or "that girl" or "(insert name of child here)'s teacher".  Please have the respect to know (or try to get to know) my name. 

I am with your child up to 10 hours a day.  I can not imagine dropping off my two year old at daycare or my son at school and not inquiring as to how his day went or if there are any issues I need to be aware of--basically taking a few seconds to check in on their day.  I can also not imagine completely ignoring Griffyn's caregiver or Max's teacher when I am greeted upon arrival or departure.  This is common courtesy.  If you are on your cell phone and just too busy to respond to my "hello" or "have a good night", please just nod or wave.  I really do understand that life is busy.  As a working mom with two very busy boys (involved in just about everything) and a husband who teaches and coaches, I truly, truly understand.  If I am talking to another parent and you need my attention or have a question, please say 'excuse me' and I will be with you in a minute.  You do not need to talk through your child (ex. "I guess she doesn't have time for us") or stomp off.  I am one person in a classroom full of kids.  I always do my best to hear and help everyone~please try to be understanding of this and know that I am doing my absolute best and want the best for you and your child. 

Life is crazy, life is hard, and you never know what a person is going through until you've walked in their shoes~~but I think if we respect each other and understand that we are all a part of this human race thing together, life could be a lot sweeter.  It takes two seconds to smile and maybe a few more to say 'thank you', but it's amazing how those two, very small little things, can change the course of a person's day.  Cue Aretha... 

I would also like to give a HUGE thank you to all of the parents and coworkers that make this profession the true joy that it can be.  Your thoughtfulness brings me to tears.  YOU are all AMAZING!!!  So, hugs (or high fives) to all of you!  And the even more amazing thing is, that your thoughtfulness is mirrored and reflected in your children as well.  The things they pick up on (another smile)!  And really, that's all a part of it too, isn't it?  What we are showing and passing down to our little (and big) ones.  They are copy cats, and if we show love and thoughtfulness to those around us, they will too.  It will just be the natural way of things for them.  Wow, what an amazing world this would be...

I would also like to give endless thanks to all of my children's care givers and teachers for the marvelous job they have done in educating and loving and caring for the two most important treasures in my life!  Who they are is, in a large part, because of you.  I would also like to thank my husband for all of his tireless work in teaching and coaching his 'other kids', and for all the ideas he gives me.  Thanks for helping me to see the bigger picture.

So thank you for letting me vent, blessings, and take care.  I'm off to get a squinkie for Griff who just went potty all by himself again!  In the throws of potty training.  No degree can prepare you for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment